Here are 10 helpful tips to keep you safe on the roads whenever and wherever you travel…
- 1. Always obey the rules of the road, wear seatbelts, keep your drivers licence with you and ensure your vehicle has a sufficient fuel supply.
2. When travelling long distances, plan your route beforehand, stay within the speed limit and take at least a 10-minute rest break every 2 hours. Having a short break, grabbing some fresh air and walking a short distance does wonders to keep you awake and revived.
3. Let a friend or family member know where you are travelling to, update them as you progress along your route and let them know once you have arrived safely.
4. Do not overload your vehicle – overloaded vehicles take longer to stop in the event of an emergency and have less steering control due to greater instability. Rather leave what you really don’t need at home.
5. Drinking and driving is an absolute no-no. If you’re going to consume alcohol at any stage, make sure you have a designated driver who is 100% capable of controlling the vehicle.
6. Mobile devices are extremely dangerous as they distract driver attention. If you have a hands-free device, talking over your phone is acceptable, but any form of texting is not.
7. Remain alert at all times and avoid Driver Distractions such as cellular conversations, texting etc!
8. Infants and children under the age of 12 should travel in the back seat and be buckled up, either in a car seat, booster seat or using the cars seatbelt. Infants between 0 months and one year of age, or up to 10kg in weight, should travel in a rear facing car seat in the back of a car.
9. Drive with your lights on and do not take risks under any circumstances. At night, dip your headlights in the event of approaching vehicles.
10. Only overtake when absolutely safe to do so, maintain a 3 second following distance and be courteous and patient with other road users.
Driving can be and is a highly pleasurable experience when done correctly. We hope these tips help you become a better, safer, more responsible driver. Safe travels and enjoy the ride!